Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Letter from Daddy

Karalyn-

You are loved.  You were loved from the moment we found out your mommy was pregnant.  You were loved when the doctors told us that you wouldn’t make it to 18 weeks.  You were loved when we found out you only had half a heart.  You were loved when the doctors made it clear that we had the option to give up on you. That was never an option for us.  We wanted to fight for you.
Oh honey, we fought with you and we fought for you.  There was never a doubt that we were going to do everything we could to give you the best chance at life.  We held to hope when there wasn’t much to hold onto.  With the God we serve there is always hope.

We wanted to hold you in our arms, hear you laugh, see you smile, stare into your eyes and to see you play with your sisters. Your sisters love you so much.  They came to meet you when you were born.  They gave you hugs and sang to you.  Mackenzie said you were just perfect and Raegan tried to poke you in the eye.  Mackenzie wanted to know how you got up to Jesus.  Though I don’t know the exact answer to that question, I know you are with Him now.
It saddens me to think of all the dreams we had for you that will never come to pass.  To see you take your first steps or to hear your first words.  We didn’t ask for much because we knew the odds that were stacked against you.  We are so happy we got to hold you in our arms, play with your hands and feet and kiss your little forehead.

We had trouble finding a name for you because we wanted it to have meaning.  We wanted it to be sweet and beautiful.  We wanted it to be strong and resilient.  And, honestly I wanted a name I could easily make into a nickname.  We call your sisters Kenzie-bear and Raegie-bear.  You are my Kar-bear.  I even looked up the Carebears toys online and there is a Tenderheart Bear with a red heart on it’s belly.  It fits you just right.
Your mommy and I are reminded of you everywhere we go.  We’ll think of you every time we see a heart, a baby or a butterfly.  You are loved by so many and you touched the lives of so many.  You live in our hearts, our minds, our thoughts and our prayers.  I can’t wait until the day I can hold you in my arms again in heaven.  Until that day I’ll carry you in my heart wherever I go.

I love you my sweet little Karalyn…my little Kar-bear.  Daddy loves you…always has, always will.
Love,
Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment